You have finally made up your mind to build a website for an online representation. However, you should not expect tons of visitors and traffic right at once. You need to consider some key elements to get started. Choosing a proper domain name is essential, as it may have a huge impact on success and promotion of your future website. It is actually the same a selecting the brand name for your company.
A domain name is your online ID to let users identify your website from hundreds of others alike. It will work for your business as well as help you to promote it on the web. Choosing the wrong domain name may break you in the long run. Choosing the right one requires plenty of considerations including some general issues:
- Visitors’ First Impression. Your website’s URL is the face of your business. It is the first thing visitors will come across. Choosing a proper domain name may have a good impact and impression on your customers keeping your brand memorable and recognizable.
- SEO Impact. Focusing on keywords in a domain name related to your niche will let you increase search engine rankings especially when EMDs appeared to be of no use today.
- Branding Opportunities. A domain name can define your company or website and let it stand out from the main competitors. A proper domain name results in increased brand recognition, which is the main competitive advantage.
Those are only a few benefits a proper domain name can deliver out of the box. For this reason, we have developed a handy guide for beginners and professionals to choose the best-matching variant for your future website.
Finding the Perfect Domain Name
The first thing to get started is actually to find the domain name for a website. Although numerous websites and generators make it easy to find available names, you can still handle the process yourself creating a brandable name, which is better than generic (we will talk about it a little bit later).
In this case, you need to consider some key elements including the length, the words it contains, the ease of typing and other crucial factors.
Create Your Own Domain Name
The user can opt for various methods of creating a new domain name that stands out from others:
- Catchy New Words – feel free to make up your own stunning set of words that represent your brand or niche. We have some examples of words that have never actually existed before their introduction. Google, Facebook or Bing are good examples of how new words can eventually grow into world’s most recognizable brands;
- Synonyms to Existing Words – you can opt for already existing words and look for catchy synonyms using services like a thesaurus. They will generate a list of words that can be used to represent your brand online;
- Generic Domain Names – domain name generators certainly put an ease on the process. They can help to expand your ideas and create domain names containing keywords. However, they are not so effective when creating brandable domains names.
Keep It Short
There is a golden rule for all domain names. It says “the shorter, the better”. It means that you should avoid long names with numerous characters.
The latest stats show that most of top Google websites including mass media and sites for business rarely have more than 14 characters in their domain names. The best bet is to stick to 6-10 characters to keep it sharp and easy to remember.
Make It Easy to Type
Once again, we may take Google or Facebook as an example of a proper domain name that is pretty easy to type. Moreover, such names are very easy to spell and, what is more important, to remember.
- Ask your friends to spell a chosen name. If they face difficulties and require spelling explanations, your domain is hard to understand.
- Ask 10 different people to check your domain and say if it easy enough to spell and type.
Another bad thing about complicated and hard to type names is the high possibility of mistyping by your users. It will lead them to another website that is most likely to be your main competitor. What can be worse than a misled potential customer? Your domain name should not contain any special symbols like numbers, hyphens, etc. They may it hard to type and spell.
A Domain Name Affects SEO
While the domain name is the key element of your future website, it can also affect its SEO ranks. If you want to take the fullest from your name from search engine perspectives, you need to consider the following issues:
- Focus on Your Keywords – it is not a secret that keywords and phrases related to a particular niche can improve website’s SEO. However, it does not mean you need to pack your name with tons of keywords making it look like generic.
The best way to benefit from better SEO is to put keywords at the beginning of the domain name. It will ensure maximum effect. Opt for available services like Keyword Planner by Google for inspiration;
- Create a Domain Name for Years – this factor considers thinking long-term. Changing a domain name in future is hardly the best idea. It will result in extra costs. At the same time, it will have a negative effect on your website SEO. So, if you are choosing a domain name think like you are going to marry it until death does you part.
Choose a Proper Domain Extension
A domain extension only sounds strange. However, most of you are familiar with the term. It represents a suffix at the end of the URL after a dot. Choosing a proper extension can also be crucial. While .com is yet the most popular and desired one, it can be of no use considering your targeted region and audience. .com extension refers to a so-called TLD (Top Level Domain).
They are globally used and get the best from SEO ranks. It means more opportunities to get higher search engine ranks among competitors within a shorter time.
.com extension is a good solution for beginners despite their budget. They appear to be the best bet for qa start. On the other hand, users are facing the wave of new generic TLDs for different niches.
For example, .photography is the best bet for professional photographers offering their services online. .guru also comes as a proper name with a chance to create relevant, short, recognizable names.
Other available extensions include:
- .co – an extension for websites and companies that deal with different communities or commercial activities;
- .info – an extension for informational websites and blogs that do not deal with any commercial purposes;
- .net – an extension for website owners who are planning to deal with technical issues. They are good for Internet Providing companies, hosting services, etc.;
- .org – an extension for non-profitable organizations and communities;
- .me – an extension for small blogs and websites for personal usage;
- .biz – an extension for e-commerce websites and business.
The above-mentioned a more affordable if compared with high-quality TLDs. However, they will suit only specific website needs and purposes while .com, for example, is for a wider objectives without limiting to a specific niche. If you are targeting a particular region or country, you can opt for extensions like .de, .co.uk, .de and others.
Summing up this section, you need to have a clear understanding of how global your website should be. Whether you require a worldwide recognition or only need to involve users from a specific zone.
Brandable VS Generic Domain Names
Always try to keep creative when choosing a proper domain name. Avoid commonly used words and try to stand out from others. Such approach will eventually result in a so-called brandable domain that is unique, recognizable and differs from others.
Another way is to use generators and special services like NAME MESH. As a rule, they help to make up a generic domain name that is packed with tons of keywords and extremely hard to remember, type and spell.
For instance, one will hardly find the difference between the following two URLs: BuildaWebsite.com and NewWebsiteBuilder.net. They look the same and awfully generic. Visitors are very likely to be misled. They will probably visit their competitors instead of getting to the right website.
On the other hand, im.creator.com (a brandable domain name) stands out from a generic domain name. It is easier to understand and will never mislead its potential visitors. For this reason, opting for brandable domain.
A proper domain name is a key element of your website. It may have a great impact on its future business and SEO perspectives. It ensures recognition among potential customers and establishes your unique brand name.
However, it only your first step to build a solid website and launch a successful business online. Choosing IM Creator should be your next step. The website builder was designed to let you handle the creation of different website types whether you need a business card, web store or portfolio. It is a simple yet efficient tool that will turn the website building process into an entertainment.