If you’re looking for a Wix alternative, you’ve come to the right place. You probably know by now that, although Wix is a cheap website builder, there are some excellent alternatives to wix that might suit your needs better. Whether you are looking to build your first website with ease, or you currently use the Wix CMS (content management system) and are in need of an upgrade, we’ve got you covered. You’ll find all the relevant information below so that you can make an informed decision on your new or existing website.
Why You May Need a Wix Alternative
Before we get into our list of Wix alternatives we like, let’s briefly discuss why you may need a Wix alternative to begin with. It’s true that Wix has made a name for itself as a flexible and versatile platform. There’s no denying that, and it is a big reason for their growth into a large company. Wix lets users come up with different types of websites and features an array of affordable plans.
That being said, there are website building platforms better than Wix and the key is to understand what your needs are and see which platform fits best. You may need a Wix alternative if, for instance, you are struggling with their user interface or aren’t finding really creative templates to use.
Or, it may be because you need a white label site builder, which you can’t get with Wix. Remember, while they have spent a great deal of time improving the Wix CMS, it isn’t perfect. The problem is, Wix is now a big company and as such won’t be able to offer the personalized care that you can get elsewhere.
Thankfully, there are legitimate alternatives to Wix out there. You don’t have to look very far and you’ll find several worthy options. You’ll find that some of them provide features that are more flexible. Others appear to be a cheaper option. Some platforms are more focused around a particular type of website, thus letting you come up with a more professional and customized digital store, or a refined portfolio site, for example. Regardless of the type of site you need, you do have options.
Most Popular Wix Alternatives
There are some really popular Wix alternatives that have been in the website building game for quite some time. We’re going to give you a rundown of the most popular ones out there today, along with a key takeaway from each on why they might be better than Wix.
If you need a better alternative to Wix, look no further than IM Creator. It has proven to be a good choice whether you need to build a professional landing page, solid digital store, catchy portfolio or any other site. It doesn’t require any technical skills, which delivering a bunch of options and features out of the box. Here are some key benefits:
- Simple Editor – WYSIWYG editor makes it easy to customize your website pages and work with content using PRO settings;
- SEO Feature – IM Creator lets you work with SEO settings like meta titles, descriptions and keywords to increase website’s search engines rank;
- eCommerce Engine – the platform has a simple function to manage sales in your web store;
- White Label – This solution delivers more opportunities for hosting and web development companies, as well as independent web designers.
Why IM Creator is better than Wix: IM Creator is simpler to use, has better templates, and incredible flexibility within them – such as taking elements of different ones and combining them with ease. It will not take you long to learn all its tools and features. You can build adaptive websites on your lunch break, and choose from an array of plans. There’s even a free plan for students and non-profitable organizations.
Weebly is a simple website builder perfect for newbies who do not require a complicated website. Although the platform looks a bit minimalistic, it brings a set of all necessary instruments and tools to build a professional looking website from scratch within a couple of hours. The main benefits include:
- Stylish Templates – Weebly delivers over a hundred trendy templates out of the box;
- Ease of Use – the software boasts probably the easiest drag-and-drop editor in the world;
- Intuitive Interface – working with content is simple and fast as well as edit or customize each page;
- Marketing Options – the platform boasts a set of fundamental SEO and eCommerce tools though available in premium plans only;
- Pre-Set Layout – choose from over 40 layouts and start editing your website at once.
Why Weebly is better than Wix: Weebly offers a simple editing feature. Each template is divided into specific drag-and-drop areas and zones where you only need to insert content.
Weebly looks like a good alternative in case you look for a cheap website builder tool. It features a free plan that includes 500MB of storage and subdomain. If you crave for more features, paid plans start from $4 per month.
Targeting simple business websites and offering portfolio and professional landing page options, uKit should certainly be in the conversation. It delivers a wide selection of stylish templates in addition to an array of features and affordable premium plans. The core benefits include:
- 350+ Trendy Templates – choose a template you need from different categories to build a business website, digital store or landing page;
- Intuitive Editor – uKit is based upon a simple WYSIWYG editor letting you add media files and text with ease;
- Integrated eCommerce Solution – Ecwid will let you build powerful online shops effortlessly;
- Affordable Prices – uKit comes with probably most affordable prices with a premium plan starting from $4 per month.
Why uKit is better than Wix: uKit delivers responsive templates featuring intuitive interface. A user can easily switch between several templates in case there is a need to change the theme.
uKit is an affordable and simple website builder for multiple purposes. Apart from reasonable prices, the software offers a 14-day free trial to check if the platform meets your requirements.
WordPress has already turned into an iconic platform featuring boasting thousands of blogs built using this software. Despite the fact it is free, it is also an open source platform, which means endless editing and customizing capabilities. All you need is to have at least basic coding skills. The main WordPress features include:
- Endless List of Templates – thousands of themes are available for users with different needs and preferences;
- Endless Blog Editing Capabilities – as an open source platform, WordPress reserves much space to customize and edit your blog creating a unique style;
- Free Plugins – choose from an array of free plugins including blogging, SEO, analytics, subscription forms, captcha and more from a huge WordPress store;
- Constant Updates – update your theme and plugins automatically with just a click;
- Billions of Users Worldwide – 40% of all websites in the Global Net are built with WordPress.
Why WordPress is better than Wix: endless website customization and blog editing opportunities. However, users will have to pay for hosting and register a domain name. This means WordPress is not an all-in-one solution, as you need to find a place where to host your website.
Also, it is hardly a good option for newbies. There is a rather steep learning curve and more often than not users end up looking for wordpress alternatives for websites they run.
However, if you have the time to spend to learn if, and have some external help in case of emergencies, it does provide a lot. It remains a great platform for any website despite its complexity.
In comparison to some of the others on this list, Squarespace may look a bit more complicated especially when it comes to newbies. However, this is because the platform includes more features to build more complicated websites with increased functionality. The core features include:
- Polish Templates – Squarespace offers a selection of more stylish and trendy themes that are designed professionally;
- All-In-One Builder – each template comes with a set of pre-installed features ranging from metrics and SEO to RSS subscription and more;
- Website Security – Squarespace uses the latest technologies to ensure 100% website protection from frauds;
- Website Export Feature – you can leave the platform whenever you want thanks to export/import option.
Why Squarespace is better than Wix: using Squarespace does not mean you are stuck in their platform forever. Unlike Wix, it offers export/import capabilities to leave the platform whenever you need. Moreover, Squarespace has its Git control system that lets you access older versions of your website.
Squarespace is a complicated but versatile website builder with all necessary instruments in the pack. It is a good choice for those who need to build a more complicated site. The platform offers a 14-day period. Then you will have to choose any of the paid plans that start from $12 per month.
Shopify is an eCommerce focused website builder. It is perhaps the most popular way to create stunning digital stores with ease. The platform delivers a set of tools to edit and manage products, track analytics, deal with SEO settings, boost sales with coupons and loyalty programs, etc. In other words, Shopify is an ultimate eCommerce website building instrument with the following features:
- Professionally Designed Templates – choose from a web store you like and start adding products with ease;
- Ease of Use – Shopify combines all the best features from the drag-and-drop option as well as CSS editing;
- Advanced CMS for eCommerce – benefit from a selection of instruments top edit and manage your products;
- Digital Scaling – Shopify is a good software whether you need to build a huge complicated digital store or a small online shop;
- Features and Integration – tune your SEO settings, run the testing purchase, implement the “add to cart” function and more.
Why Shopify is better than Wix: Shopify is a better option when it comes to digital stores. The platform was designed specifically for eCommerce needs and delivers a wider option of features. The software offers an array of plans to meet different needs. Thus, users can choose from the Lite Plan (only $9 per month) that lets you start selling products via Facebook or connect an already existing store to Advanced Plan ($299 per month) with an endless list of up-to-date professional eCommerce features.
Choosing The Right Alternative to Wix
Choosing a proper website building platform is vital to your site’s success. If you’ve ever simply started with a cheap website builder and found yourself with a subpar site, you know what we mean. If this is your first site, make sure you consider important factors, such as target audience, type of site, goals, design, simplicity, and others.
It’s possible that the Wix CMS will fill those needs, but you probably aren’t reading this if you’re confident of that. The above list are what we consider your best options for finding an alternative to Wix. While it has its own benefits, many ex-Wix users have migrated over. Now the only question is which one fits your needs. If you’re still unsure, feel free to comment below and we’ll be happy to guide you to the right site builder.